Saturday, June 5, 2010

We are what we eat.....

So what's growing now? Chard and Mustard greens!

And now that I've got all of these Chard and Mustard greens...what do I do with them? Gather recipes that will make my husband want to eat them :-)

My very favorite thus far is from Terence Conran's The Chef's Garden (given to me by Chuck's Aunt Marsha) This recipe calls for Kale, but whatever, right?


Pg 65 CALDO VERDE

1/2 pound curly kale (This year I'm growing Seeds of Change Osaka Purple Mustard Greens and Mangold Witerbi Chard)
1 1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled, cubed
4 garlic cloves, peeled, thinly sliced
1/2 cup olive oil
8 ounces chorizo sausage (Don't live in NM & don't know what chorizo is? Great vegan alternative from Melissa's, whom I adore)

Trim and wash kale, then drain. Bring 5 cups salted water to a boil in a pan and add the potatoes, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Add the garlic and the olive oil. When the potatoes are cooked, remove form the pan with a slotted spoon and mash until smooth. Return to the water in the pan and bring to a simmer. Remove the stalks from the kale and finely shred the leaves, then add to the pot with the chorizo. Simmer for 5 minutes, adjust seasoning and serve.

Do you like it? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment